The little packets of pasta sauce mix you can buy in grocery stores inspired this One Pot Creamy Pesto Chicken Pasta. These little packets of pasta sauce mix are great for stocking your bomb shelter or emergency supplies. But for weeknight meals, there is something better. Better, but not more. This Creamy Pesto Chicken Pasta is easy to make and takes only 25 minutes. 😉
OPTIONAL CHICKEN, SPINACH, & TOMATOES
The original idea for this recipe was to make Pasta with sauce. Sometimes, that’s all you need to feel satisfied. However, I love to go through my fridge, freezer, and pantry to see what leftover ingredients I can use to spice up whatever I cook. This creamy pesto chicken pasta was what I came up with. It had spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, and HTML3_ garlic HTML3_. It was still delicious! I tried it with just the sauce and Pasta during testing.
What type of Pasta should I use?
Although I used penne pasta for this recipe, you could also use bowties or rotini. This pasta-to-broth ratio is crucial in one-pot portions of Pasta. I cannot vouch for other portions of Pasta such as gluten-free, rice or chickpea portions. They may absorb broth differently than semolina pasta, so this recipe might not work.
VIDEO CREAMY PESTO CHICKEN PASTA
One-pot Creamy Pesto Chicken Pastamusic Play Video
TIPS FOR SUCCESS WITH “ONE POT” PLATES OF PASTA
One-pot portions of Pasta can be difficult for some people because they require a smaller amount of liquid than traditional cooking methods. These are some tips to ensure your one-pot pasta cooks evenly.
- Use only high-quality cookware. Cookware should be thick and heavy so that heat is evenly distributed. Some pasta will be overcooked, while others may be undercooked.
- A burner should be the same size as your cookware. This will ensure that the pot heats evenly and the Pasta is cooked evenly.
- The broth should be simmered all the way through. The Pasta will get mushy if the broth is not simmered.
- Mix the Pasta every few minutes to avoid sticking.
- Cover the pot to trap steam and ensure that the Pasta is cooked properly.
PASTA ONE-POT CREAMY PESTO CHICKEN PASTA
This creamy pesto chicken pasta is great for busy weeknights. It takes less than 30 minutes to cook, and everything can be done in one pot!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 lb. 1 lb.
- 2 Tbsp Butter ($0.26)
- 2 cloves of garlic ($0.16)
- 1/2 lb. penne pasta ($0.40)
- 1.5 cups chicken broth ($0.20)
- 1 cup of milk ($0.32)
- 3 oz. cream cheese* ($0.29)
- 1/3 cup basil pesto ($0.73)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan ($0.44)
- Freshly cracked pepper ($0.03)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper ($0.02)
- 3 cups fresh spinach ($0.90)
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes sliced ($1.10)
- Then, cut the chicken breast into 1-inch pieces. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken in the skillet until it is lightly browned.
- While the chicken cooks, chop the garlic. Continue to saute the garlic in the skillet and the chicken for about one more minute.
- In a large skillet, add the uncooked pasta and the chicken broth along with the garlic. To dissolve any brown bits remaining in the skillet, stir. Cover the skillet with a lid and bring the broth to a boil.
- After the broth has boiled, add the pasta to the pot and stir. Allow the paste to simmer on medium heat for 8 minutes or until it is tender and the most broth has been absorbed. As the Pasta simmers, stir it briefly every 2 minutes and cover with a lid.
- Once the Pasta has become tender, and the broth is absorbed, add the milk and cream cheese. Cook on medium heat until cream cheese is melted into the sauce. Stir in the grated Parmesan, and mix until well combined.
- Add the chopped sun-dried tomatoes and fresh spinach if desired. After the spinach is wilted, stir the Pasta. Serve the Pasta with freshly cracked peppers and a pinch of crushed pepper.
*Cream cheese typically has markings on its outer wrap showing the ounces. This guide will help you to remove three ounces from a block.
Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories 748.68 Kcal Carbohydrates 52.55 G Protein: 41.75 G Fat: 41.53g Sodium 1099.28mg Fiber: 4.1g